Blogs > The Downriver Garage

This is the place to get the coverage of the local auto scene from The News-Herald.com

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Betty Blanchett's '63 Impala

By Dave Chapman


When Downriver Wanders car club member Betty Blanchett purchased her 1963 Chevrolet Impala convertible 23 years ago from California, she had no idea how long and what it would take to finally finish the car.

The car sat for years in a garage until her and her husband got to finally start the car’s restoration. During the restoration, her husband died and the car once again sat.

A while back, her grandson, Marcus Blanchett, asked her what was under the car cover. She showed him. After seeing the Impala, he said they had to restore the car, and process started once again.

“My grandson and I had help rebuilding the car,” Blanchett said. “I did whatever I could. I helped hang the bumpers. My grandson did the glass for the car and I did the interior.”

The car’s original 327 engine is under the hood, complete with its California emission in place and working.

Blanchett said that the rebuild was difficult at times, but she is more than happy with the car.

If you would like to see the car up close and personal, she is at many of the area’s cruise nights and car shows.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home